Provider of forward-thinking solutions
that protect the quality of life and well-being of Nurses
The number of malpractice case against nurses rose significantly over the past decade. The common categories of malpractice claims against nurses include:
• Failure to assess and monitor - The difference between life and death can depend on the nurse's accuracy in assessing and monitoring for changes in the patient's status and in notifying the physician to these changes. Communication also plays a key role in this aspect of care because the nurse must be able to accurately communicate to the physician about the patient in a timely manner.
• Failure to follow standards of care - Whether or not the nurse follows the standards of care will determine if the nurse has breached his or her duty to the patient. The standard of care can be found on the unit of care, in the hospital policy manual, on specialty care websites, or from the state board of nursing.
• Failure to use equipment in a responsible manner - Nurses must know the capabilities, safety features and limitations of any equipment they use. Adverse events must be reported to their supervisor or through whatever reporting mechanism required by the particular institution. Equipment with alarms must be set to specifications and should be clearly heard.
• Failure to document - Documentation must accurately reflect the nursing process, showing evidence that care was given and the patient's response was assessed.
• Failure to act as a patient advocate - Being the patient's advocate involves legal and ethical issues. The nurse should be knowledgeable about both.
• Failure to communicate - Listen to a patient's complaints and then act on them. Communicate with physicians in a timely manner when a patient's condition warrants it and also communicate and listen to fellow staff members.
Lloyd's of London, unlike many other insurance brands, is not a company; it's a market where our members join together as syndicates to insure risk.
The Lloyd’s market is home to 56 managing agents and 91 syndicates, which offer an unrivaled concentration of specialist underwriting expertise and talent.
Business at Lloyd’s is still conducted face-to-face, and the bustling Underwriting Room is central to the smooth running of the market. The market structure encourages innovation, speed and better value, making it attractive to policyholders and participants alike. Immediate access to decision-makers means that answers on whether a risk can be placed are made quickly, enabling the broker to provide fast, good-value solutions.
Medical Protective Insurance Company underwrites the Medical Malpractice Insurance provided to Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, and Student Nurses.
Medical Protective defends the reputation and assets of over 70,000 healthcare providers. Medical Protective is the only medical malpractice carrier who has endured all three medmal crises and through it all has provided superior protection to its insureds. Nothing says financial strength like the highest ratings available A++ and AA+ from independent rating agencies A.M. Best and S&P. And, MedPro is part of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway, the epitome of financial strength and smart financial management.
We are guided by our core values that have shaped every part of our business:
We focus on Nurses
Our focus is on professional nurses. All aspects of our business support this. Everything we do is aligned to help us better understand and meet their unique needs.
We act only in our clients' best interests
Our unwavering commitment to exacting and ethical standards guides all our decisions and practices. We deeply value our clients’ confidentiality, we respect our clients’ other advisors and we seek to act with integrity in all our actions.
We are passionate about what we do
In everything we do—for our clients, our community and our colleagues—we are committed to challenging the status quo: 'good enough' is never good enough. We collaborate with external experts, our partners and our clients, constantly evaluating our advice and services.
We deliver 'Raving Fan' service
We promise a lot and deliver more. Our clients and their goals are singularly important, and we are committed to providing exceptional service. A superlative staff of talented people is in place to support a system committed to these values, ones which govern every aspect of our practice.
What are Common Malpractice Claims
Who are our insurers
What Makes Us Different
"Like many nurses, I bought malpractice insurance based just on rates – thinking it was all the same...
When a patient suffered from complications and I was dragged into a legal nightmare, your company helped me through those difficult times and lifted the burden from me when I was overwhelmed. Thank you for your excellent legal representation and compassionate claims manager."
Copyright © 2016 • All rights reserved
Nurses First Advisors • Saint Louis, MO
This site is designed for U.S. residents only. The services offered within this site are available exclusively through our U.S. insurance agents.
Nurses First Advisors may only conduct business with residents of the states for which they are properly registered. Please note that not all of the insurance solutions mentioned are available in every state.